[AusNOG] More legislative interventions

Chad Kelly chad at cpkws.com.au
Sat Apr 6 17:03:12 EST 2019

On 4/6/2019 12:00 PM, ausnog-request at lists.ausnog.net wrote:

> This passed the Senate after 90 seconds of debate without the bill itself being made available to MPs last night.
>
> It passed the House today after about four minutes of debate with no crossbenchers being allowed to speak.
>
> It?ll receive royal assent and become law, probably tomorrow.
>
> But sure, take their consultation processes seriously, acknowledge the validity of the system, treat them with respect, never go for their jugular, join industry associations who tread softly and quietly and make-nice lest anyone in government become offended. Just like always. I?m sure one day they?ll all see the light and stop kicking the internet industry in the face.
>
> One day.

I want to know how they expect to be able to deal with international agencies.
Not every country in the world has the same set of laws, all these companies are based in the US so US law would override Australian law.
Also, those solutions for inserting ads into live streams were not dremped up overnight, they took years to perfect, it is not a simple process to come up with a totally new method of programmatically changing the way the entire internet works.
Or large parts of it anyway, and live streaming is now a pretty large part of the Internet.
You can clearly tell this legislation isn't written by technical people, it is idealistic at best.
Arresting executives really isn't the answer, Facebook has millions of users all creating accounts for free, the only way Facebook would get around this is by charging users for accounts, and they would shoot themselves in the foot a bit by doing this, as other platforms would start up as replacements, similar to what happened between Facebook and Myspace a few years ago, MySpace was the dominant social media platform.
All that will happen is platforms will just block access from within Australia if the legislation becomes too difficult to deal with. We are tiny compared to the rest of the world.
Facebook could easily do this through Akamai it would be cheaper to just block entire platforms.

--
Chad Kelly
Manager