[AusNOG] Assistance and Access Bill moves to PJCIS

Paul Wilkins paulwilkins369 at gmail.com
Thu Apr 4 10:54:37 EST 2019

Well that's pretty much the last straw. There are no new recommendations of
substance, and the matter has been kicked down the road for a report by the
INSLM somewhere in 18 months time.

This rather ominous blather sums up the PJCIS's position:

In the main, the Committee expects that the powers have effective
safeguards and oversight, and expects that they are being used
appropriately by security agencies and law enforcement.

Yet you find buried within the report:

The majority of submitters to the 2018 Bill Review focussed on the proposed
amendments contained in Schedule 1 — the industry assistance measures.
Almost all expressed concerns about the amendments proposed in Schedule 1
or stated direct opposition.

So why go through the charade of a Home Affairs public consultation, 2
further rounds through the PJCIS (and the INSLM to come) only to come to
conclusions disparate to overwhelming opposition by the public, industry,
and human rights groups?

Kind regards

Paul Wilkins