[AusNOG] Assistance and Access Bill moves to PJCIS

Paul Wilkins paulwilkins369 at gmail.com
Tue Sep 25 13:20:59 EST 2018

Australia is bound under international law against arbitrary or unlawful
incursions of the right to privacy. That's black letter law.

I'd recommend anyone interested take a look at the submission by Australian
Human Rights Commission
https://www.humanrights.gov.au/sites/default/files/AHRC%20submission%20Access%20and%20Assistance%20draft%20Bill%2010%20Sep%2018.pdf
, because they discuss at length the requirement for the Bill's measures to
be necessary and proportionate.

Of course, the public revenue justification is gone, so it's moot now
whether this provision contravened international law. The remaining
justifications for TCNs/TANs are to prosecute serious crime and terrorism,
which the government is within its constitutional powers to do.

Kind regards

Paul Wilkins