[AusNOG] Dutton decryption bill

Robert Hudson hudrob at gmail.com
Thu Sep 20 14:53:59 EST 2018

Precedent set in the UK, where they're bound by European law (until they
Brexit) and Australia are *very* far apart.  As Mark already pointed out,
the UNHRC has condemned Australia for its mandatory offshore detention
policies - and that'd made not a lick of difference.  It came out recently
that our current soon-to-be-ex-prime-minister has a trophy in his office to
remind himself that he "stopped the boats".

Don't believe me?

https://www.smh.com.au/politics/federal/i-stopped-these-boats-books-and-balls-inside-the-office-of-prime-minister-scott-morrison-20180919-p504p5.html

I suspect that one might be forgiven for thinking that someone who thought
that because the UK was bound by European law, that Australia would for
some reason change its mind on this when we've not given two brass monkeys'
.xyzs on other matters is "so far out of touch with reality as to be
indulging in fantasy".