[AusNOG] Dutton decryption bill

Paul Wilkins paulwilkins369 at gmail.com
Thu Sep 13 15:13:28 EST 2018

Mark,
An enabler? I wish. The government is perfectly capable of passing the
Assistance and Access Bill without my help.

There's a compelling argument that encryption doesn't negate the sovereign
right of the Crown to conduct wiretap surveillance subject to judicial
writ. I recognise the need to extend judicial writ to the cyber domain. So
do plenty of other people, inside and outside of government, so it's
happening, regardless of the objections of hardline privacy advocates.

I want this regime to be effective and implemented properly, with checks
and balances consistent with a liberal democracy, and proportionate to the
need for privacy. If I contribute to the process, it's to ensure a better
outcome than had I stood idle and silent.

Kind regards

Paul Wilkins