[AusNOG] Dutton decryption bill

Paul Wilkins paulwilkins369 at gmail.com
Thu Sep 13 09:34:43 EST 2018

If there were an equivalent to certificate transparency logs for our data
retention laws and for these proposed technical assistance requests, you
could be sure that they'd be used much more responsibly and sparingly.

I like this idea, a lot.

In my submission I raised the possibility of a single agency acting as a
clearing house for judicial writs, and issuing per warrant SSL certificates
to secure warrant data as part of the process. The idea to have them
implement certificate transparency is excellent, and I'd support any
representation to government urging them to resource such efforts. However,
it's going to be a struggle, given where, if you've noticed, gov.au is not
yet DNSSEC signed - which I find deliciously ironic, the government issuing
itself new powers to protect our cyber security, while their whole TLD
flaps in the breeze...

Kind regards

Paul Wilkins