[AusNOG] Dutton decryption bill

Chad Kelly chad at cpkws.com.au
Mon Sep 3 13:14:26 EST 2018

On 9/3/2018 12:00 PM, ausnog-request at lists.ausnog.net wrote:

> The government is going to be able to enforce the Assistance and Access
> Bill, because to operate a business in Australia, requires a local
> presence. Your trade marks and intellectual property need recognition, and
> you require a registered company to conduct business and to hold bank
> accounts. If you won't comply with assistance/capability notices, you won't
> be able to conduct business in Australia.
Yeah I'm not sure I particularly like how dam vague the wording of the
bill is though.
We are heading more in the direction of places like Singapore and China
with these bills and that isn't great for the industry.
Not sure we will be able to do much though as its a bit of a dammed if
you do, dammed if you don't type situation, because on the one hand you
don't want to be hosting abusive material on your networks / servers,
but on the other hand, someone could impersonate a police officer and
gain the equipment, Datacentres   are going to have to spend more time
validating ID's and conducting manual checks which only means that
prices will only increase as having extra security staff costs money.
As you don't want just anyone turning up with fake identities and
grabbing hardware and having legit businesses shut down in the process
particularly if its a shared hosting server.
With this new bill, something like the following could easily happen
hear in Au http://www.webhostingtalk.com/showthread.php?t=1716143 its a
bit of a worry.
Regards Chad.

--