[AusNOG] Dutton decryption bill

trs80 at ucc.gu.uwa.edu.au trs80 at ucc.gu.uwa.edu.au
Mon Sep 3 01:07:40 EST 2018

On Sun, 2 Sep 2018, Paul Wilkins wrote:

> The government is going to be able to enforce the Assistance and Access Bill, because to operate a business in Australia,
> requires a local presence. Your trade marks and intellectual property need recognition, and you require a registered company to
> conduct business and to hold bank accounts. If you won't comply with assistance/capability notices, you won't be able to conduct
> business in Australia.

Telegram and Signal have none of those and work fine here. Arguably
neither is a business, certainly in the traditional sense of the word. And
yet they offer precisely what the "worst of the worst" desire - end-to-end
encryption that, as you so clearly point out, the Australian government
has no power to prevent.

Sure they will be able to enforce it against others, but their whole
argument for these laws is to go after those actors when it is manifestly
ineffective for that.

# UCC Wheel Member     http://trs80.ucc.asn.au/ #|  what squirrels do best     |