[AusNOG] Are domain name server pointers reliant on registrar name server?

Peter Fern ausnog at 0xc0dedbad.com
Mon Oct 29 16:06:23 EST 2018

On 29/10/18 3:54 pm, Bradley Silverman wrote:
> @Peter - Hey mate, I never said our nameservers would server records,
> I said the server itself would not go looking as it would assume that
> as it hosts the website, and has DNS records, that it itself is
> authoritative. This is basically how all Control Panel like systems
> function (cPanel, Plesk etc).
> Our nameservers are not responding incorrectly, or at all in this
> circumstance, it's just the server not making a DNS query as it
> assumes it has that information already haha!

Can't you just point the resolvers on the box to another recursor,
rather than at the cPanel DNS server, to fix this? Clearly I don't have
much experience with these terrible control panel things, but this
sounds like a pretty broken mode of operation, or perhaps there's a
missing integration point that should be leveraged to avoid this being a
customer problem.