[AusNOG] Telstra and Vocus Peering

Chris Knight stryqx at gmail.com
Wed Oct 24 22:02:57 EST 2018

Just because AEMO and Infrastructure Australia think a second power
cable across Bass Strait is a good idea doesn't mean anyone is going
to dig deeply into their pockets to make it happen. Victoria, maybe.
Unlikely to be Tassie, given their recent inquiry (well, 2016) raised
too many uncertainties and not enough scenarios to make a business
case for it.
A second Bass Strait cable is also competing with Snowy 2.0, making
its reality even less so. I'd be highly surprised to see BassLink 2.0
turn up within 10 years. Which means Bevan's idea of a festoon fibre
around Tassie is just as viable, for anyone wanting to see a 4th fibre
bundle service ~2% of the national population.
That prize doesn't look so flash now. And bold is probably the wrong
description.

On Wed, 24 Oct 2018 at 12:54, John Edwards <jaedwards at gmail.com> wrote:

> When IP networks were expensive and a premium product, demanding peering in Hobart and Darwin probably looked like good strategy for maintaining exclusivity
>
> Fast forward to 2018 where there is federal government funded RBBP fibre to Darwin, and new Bass Strait energy projects being proposed that will include fibre - this now looks like Telstra dangling a 10-gigabit prize for anyone bold enough to poach their customers from their least contested markets
>
> Go figure
>
> John
>

> On Wed, 24 Oct 2018 at 10:26, Jim Woodward <jim at alwaysnever.net> wrote:
>>
>> I agree, both Telstra and Optus peering agreements are specifically written in a way that anyone other than a national competitor of equivalent size would be excluded from eligibility and as John said earlier even large content providers (e.g. a Netflix, Google or an Amazon) with presence in a few major centres would not qualify per the requirements laid out in that agreement with private discussions between those entities notwithstanding.
>>

>> Kind Regards,
>>
>> Jim.

Regards,
Chris Knight