[AusNOG] Mobile network-provided time zone

Noel Butler noel.butler at ausics.net
Sun Oct 7 12:06:01 EST 2018

This seems a question for whingepool (its got nothing to do with running
IP networks)

On 07/10/2018 06:36, Paul Gear wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> In the past 10 or so years, I've used every major mobile carrier's
> network, through both the carrier directly and often through various
> resellers, and one thing remains consistent.  Every year on this
> weekend, when in Queensland, the network-provided time zone changes to
> UTC +11 (Sydney/Melbourne).  This is very handy when roaming overseas,
> but not so handy when it changes your time zone when it shouldn't.
>
> What's causing this?  I know it's not NTP on the handset - I know a
> little about that, and it doesn't include time zone in packets, nor does
> it care about time zone when it adjusts the kernel.  I assumed that this
> feature was implemented on the mobile network side, and the mobile base
> station broadcasts its time zone along with the other information
> handsets need to connect to it.  But I don't know enough about the
> technical side of that to be sure.
>
> The usual suggested remedy when I contact my carrier to complain that
> they're sending my phone the wrong time zone is to ask for the handset
> to rebooted.  Sometimes it works; sometimes it doesn't.  But why would
> it make any difference?
>
> Can anyone shed any light on this?
>
> Thanks in advance,
> Paul

Kind Regards,

Noel Butler

 		This Email, including any attachments, may contain legally privileged
information, therefore remains confidential and subject to copyright
protected under international law. You may not disseminate, discuss, or
reveal, any part, to anyone, without the authors express written
authority to do so. If you are not the intended recipient, please notify
the sender then delete all copies of this message including attachments,
immediately. Confidentiality, copyright, and legal privilege are not
waived or lost by reason of the mistaken delivery of this message. Only
PDF [1] and ODF [2] documents accepted, please do not send proprietary
formatted documents

Links:
------
[1] http://www.adobe.com/