[AusNOG] Equipment upgrade path

Ahad Aboss ahad at swiftelnetworks.com
Fri Nov 23 22:05:49 EST 2018

Hi Paul,

Hope you are well.

Based on the information you’ve shared below are some suggestions that does
not take high availability into account.

Given that you are running a small ISP, my suggestion is to continue using
the ASR1K for Telstra & AAPT ethernet services until you get close to
maxing out the backplane and separate the L2TP or IPOE sessions into a
separate PE. You can always upgrade the PE to ASR1004/1006/1013 as your
customer base grows.

The ASR1K enables you to shape Telstra / AAPT customer circuits at the
headend or per vlan sub-interfaces. It also comes with a lot of features
that a Nexus 9K in L3 setup cannot support/perform as well as the ASR1K.

I am assuming your aggregate traffic handled by ASR1001 for Telstra / AAPT
is less than 4-5Gbps though most ISPs oversubscribe these services 4:1 at
the aggregation point/headend.

Given the above, a key starting point is to separate your residential (DSL)
and corporate (ethernet / fibre) customers into at least 2 pairs of PE
routers – this is a good practice from the HA and operations point of view.

The Nexus 9K is a nice ToR & leaf switch but in a server facing environment
where its often used as a L3 gateway. It supports QoS, BGP and even NAT
with limitations 😊

I’ll be more than happy to answer any specific questions in terms of the
design or implementation for these services as I’ve deployed it in
small-scale and large-scale ISP environments.

Have a great weekend.

Ahad