[AusNOG] Assistance and Access Bill moves to PJCIS

Paul Brooks pbrooks-ausnog at layer10.com.au
Wed Nov 21 17:17:36 EST 2018

Thanks Rob.
In the latest, Dutton wants to speed up the Bill and have it passed "next week", and
has apparently asked the PJCIS to cut short its evaluation, according to reporting of
an interview on Sky News.

Dutton tries to speed up encryption bill
<https://www.itnews.com.au/news/dutton-tries-to-speed-up-encryption-bill-515862>

(Point of clarification - that bit about smart and dumb criminals was while trying to
explain the difference between a system having a capability that can be used by the
operator to implement a "act or thing", and an operator actually using that capability
in a particular instance against a particular target - and that the existence of the
capability isn't and shouldn't be secret, even if the actual use in response to a
warrant was still kept a secret.  That distinction has been difficult for the
committee to understand without a simple illustration.)

Paul.