[AusNOG] Assistance and Access Bill moves to PJCIS

Paul Wilkins paulwilkins369 at gmail.com
Sun Nov 18 11:45:49 EST 2018

This list was intended to highlight salient concerns, and not as a summary
of the areas of real concern. A more complete summary of concerns would
look more like:

1 - Why is there no judicial oversite of these sweeping police powers?
2 - Scope of powers go beyond terrorism and serious crime when it's not
supposed to.
3 - It supports the establishment of the machinery of mass surveillance
when it's not supposed to.
4 - It weakens the Internet's security, when it's not supposed to.
5 - Why are there no limits to ensure issue of TCNs/TANs/TARs are necessary
and proportionate to the human right to privacy, unrevokeable per the
Declaration of Human Rights.
6 - Why the deliberate exclusion/incompatibility of the provisions of the
Privacy Act 1988?
7 - Why are there no limits to ensure issue of TCNs/TANs/TARs are necessary
and proportionate to service providers rights private property,
unrevokeable per the Declaration of Human Rights.
8 - When Police Powers lie with the States, what constitutional head of
power supports the Bill's  scope, without enabling legislation from the
States conferring power? The Constitution confers national security powers,
but the scope of the Bill's police powers exceeds this remit.
9 - Why has the Bill overlooked the obvious alternative of powers spread
across a dozen Law Enforcement Agencies, which is to centralise in one
single agency, providing for greater data security, governance, efficiency,
and accountability.
10 - Why the lack of provisions for accountability for the exercise of
police powers, and checks and balances commensurate to the reach of
sweeping police powers, quite incompatible with the democratic institutions
and traditions of Liberal Democracy?
11 - Why the deliberately curtailed public consultation process and attempt
to ambush both the public and government with this Bill by Dep't Home
Affairs, and representations of public and industry consultations as being
timely and adequate, incompatible with the facts on the public record and
the express concerns of the public, human rights groups, and industry?
12 - Why the absence of recompense for injury to reputation or to service
providers' business, or other injury consequent to police malfeasance or
misfeasance? The Bill's protections are not comprehensive, and where they
make provision, go only as far as to establish lack of liability for
unlawful disclosures.
13 - Why has the government of the day referred this deeply flawed Bill to
the PJCIS, PJCHR, and the SSCSB, for review wasting public time and money,
rather than sending it back to Dep't Home Affairs for a complete overhaul
of it's scope and objectives?

Kind regards

Paul Wilkins