[AusNOG] Assistance and Access Bill moves to PJCIS

Christian Heinrich christian.heinrich at cmlh.id.au
Sat Nov 17 16:51:56 EST 2018

Scott,

On Sat, 17 Nov 2018 at 10:34, Scott Weeks <surfer at mauigateway.com> wrote:
> "...with the devices being used to arrange at least two recent
> murders and hampered investigations into at least two others."

>From my reading a much larger number is being hyped by
https://www.news.com.au/national/breaking-news/terrorists-using-encrypted-messages-asio/news-story/0fec92425823ed7d0715812a54664e9f
too.

On Sat, 17 Nov 2018 at 10:34, Scott Weeks <surfer at mauigateway.com> wrote:
> "...representatives from the NSW Police have travelled to
> BlackBerry's headquarters in Canada in a bid to get advice
> on how to retrieve information from the encrypted devices."

On Sat, 17 Nov 2018 at 10:34, Scott Weeks <surfer at mauigateway.com> wrote:
> It was refused by Queensland Police."

To be fair the http://www.organisedcrimeinquiry.qld.gov.au/ concluded
that NSW fraud squad where effective while the counterparts in QLD
stonewalled cases transferred from NSW.  You can find the relevant
quotes by searching for "Phillip Roche" of the NSW Police within their
deliverable.

http://www.ccc.qld.gov.au/research-and-publications/publications/ccc/copy_of_fraud-prevention-or-fraud-risk.pdf
is the another document from the Crime and Corruption Commission whose
investigation was conducted in parallel.

--
Regards,
Christian Heinrich

http://cmlh.id.au/contact