[AusNOG] Assistance and Access Bill moves to PJCIS

Scott Weeks surfer at mauigateway.com
Sat Nov 17 10:33:39 EST 2018

It's still Friday here, so I am looking like I'm working
while reading these posts as I only have an hour and a
half to go before happy hour starts...  ;-)

From: Christian Heinrich <christian.heinrich at cmlh.id.au>

Also
https://www.smh.com.au/national/nsw/are-encrypted-phones-allowing-criminals-to-get-away-with-murder-20150523-gh82gv.html
which was 55 devices and 800 clients.

Therefore the TAC et al are overkill within the context of the
Australian population of 25,000,000+

This is a joke.  Right?

"...with the devices being used to arrange at least two recent
murders and hampered investigations into at least two others."

"Phantom Secure...enables messages to be sent and ledgers kept
on a device which investigators cannot crack or intercept."

"...we are confident we can erode their impact."

So if the criminals used postal mail to arrange those crimes
and sent ledgers in the postal mail, would they say 'we have
to be able to read every postal mail' to erode their impact
and ensure safety and national security???  And, 4 crimes
happened on a cell phone that's encrypted, so we need to be
able to read the contents of 25 million+ cell phones whenever
we want.  Just in case.

"...representatives from the NSW Police have travelled to
BlackBerry's headquarters in Canada in a bid to get advice
on how to retrieve information from the encrypted devices."

Wow, a free trip to Canada because they can't do phone calls
of internet video conferencing?  Something stinks!

======================================

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2017-09-04/queensland-fraud-squad-raised-$800k-three-years-project-synergy/8858852

"Earlier this year the ABC lodged a right to information
application for documents outlining how much money had
been raised by Project Synergy.

It was refused by Queensland Police."

"The QPS has told the ABC that money raised was used for
training, cyber-safety programs and fraud awareness."

BWAHAHAHAHA!  No we're not going to tell you how we spent
tons of money we shouldn't have spent.  (Maybe for fun on
the Canada trip?)

"...including some questionable items such as wine
coolers for a children's program".

Further, we're going to get the kids drunk, so they won't
either.

>:-)   <= evil grin

scott