[AusNOG] Assistance and Access Bill moves to PJCIS

Paul Wilkins paulwilkins369 at gmail.com
Fri Nov 16 17:51:45 EST 2018

The point is that mass collection of metadata creates a powerful machine
for the government of the day to engage in social engineering. In a Liberal
Democracy, you are free to live as you please within the law. But if we
allow governments and law enforcement to collect and collate metadata,
we're moving towards Minority Report scenarios, where if you depart from
your usual routine, there's an exception report generated. And where the
police go from there is not necessarily a question of law, but can be
influenced by whoever is the government of the day, and to what populist
causes they may need to pander to to remain in office.

Kind regards

Paul Wilkins