[AusNOG] [AUSNOG] Data Retention & Assistance and Access Bill 2018

Paul Wilkins paulwilkins369 at gmail.com
Fri Nov 2 17:42:56 EST 2018

Thankfully the professional human rights bodies, and the professional
security/internet architecture bodies have mobilised. So I'm thinking what
could I possibly add at this juncture for a better outcome.

What I'd like to do is bolster the case for centralisation of data/computer
warrants and assistance/capability notices through a single agency. Many of
the advantages are obvious, economies of scale and workflow, security,
governance. Hopefully judicial oversite would be part of this regime.

There's another advantage, perhaps not obvious.

There would be the possibility for the agency to coordinate with the
Communications Access Coordinator, in managing the data retention regime.
Then they could support the architectures, workflow, and judicial processes
for access to retained metadata. Potentially they could provide advice to
the CAC in the approval of data retention plans.

Can anybody think of any unintended consequences this might have? Or how
this would not provide a better outcome to the alternative which is access
to metadata being requested separately from a dozen different Law
Enforcement Agencies?

Kind regards

Paul Wilkins