[AusNOG] Phone Numbers in Australia

Edwin Groothuis edwin at mavetju.org
Wed May 2 15:04:21 EST 2018

> and realised, that phone numbers where really just there for people
without those systems to reach them.

Why does non-business consumers have a landline number? Historical leftover
from before mobile phones. Why didn't they get rid of it? Because it is
linked to their ADSL link. Will I have that landline number in 3/6/12/24/48
months when I get my NBN connection? No. I have zero interest in keeping
it, the only reason I have it is because of ADSL. I haven't gotten a
(non-spam) fax for ages, I haven't gotten a (non-spam) call for ages. I
really would like to see statistics on how many landline numbers have been
returned after the move to an NBN infrastructure.

Edwin