[AusNOG] Phone Numbers in Australia

Wed May 2 13:50:16 EST 2018

Chiming in a bit late, but I agree, numbers do not count anymore.

a) most people don't remember any number at all. It's saved on the phone
and you dial the name. It's of course also based on the "all inclusive"
cost models

b) businesses run on VoIP Systems, which are integrated with any form of
address book, presence and instant messaging. Again you dial people, not
numbers. Heck, when you use Skype4Business or Jabber or Circuit or
whatever, most of the time you do not even dial a number, but a sip
address. If federation between the systems is in place, this goes even
beyond the business boundaries

c) your business number is portable and can be used on any voip/sip
enabled, connected, smart device. I for example wouldn't even need any
mobile number if it wouldn't come with my mobile plan. Calls to friends
are made via Whatsapp or Facebook messenger or more rarely Skype. No
numbers there. Skype4Business is on my mobile, so my Business number is
on my mobile. And I'm available on that number anywhere in the world
where I have Internet connectivity on my phone. But I wouldn't need it
either, as I could receive calls via my SIP identifier (my business
email address). No number needed.

So my view is: phone numbers are legacy. Back in Switzerland they did a
massive haul over of many businesses in the last 5 years, introducing
modern SIP based Communication (Skype4Business, Circuit, Jabber, Mitel)
and realised, that phone numbers where really just there for people
without those systems to reach them. So what they did, is to move mostly
over to the 058 block, which is geo-independent and derived from a
premium number block (there was some discussion about costs which got
solved by the incumbent who owned the block by eliminating the premium
in the end). The rationale for that was, that nobody would know about
the real location of a number anyway, and geo-dependent numbers would
actually make a relocation of a business unit to another region quite
confusing (which over there happens more often than here in Australia
because of much smaller regions).

It messes with emergency services though, which usually rely on the
geographic identifier of the phone though.

That's where e112 and friends come into play then.

Cheers,

Mat