[AusNOG] (Abuse of) mandatory data retention information.

Ross Wheeler ausnog at rossw.net
Wed May 2 10:45:06 EST 2018

On Wed, 2 May 2018, Paul Wilkins wrote:

> Ross,
> I recall vaguely when this was first posted. I'm sceptical whether AG would have advised to just hand the data over, as doing so ironically
> enough breaches the Data Retention Act:
>
> 187BA Ensuring the confidentiality of information
> A service provider must protect the confidentiality of information
> that, or information in a document that, the service provider must
> keep, or cause to be kept, under section 187A by:
> (a) encrypting the information; and
> (b) protecting the information from unauthorised interference orunauthorised access.
> 187LA Application of the Privacy Act 1988
> (1) The Privacy Act 1988 applies in relation to a service provider, as if
> the service provider were an organisation within the meaning of
> that Act, to the extent that the activities of the service provider
> relate to retained data.
>
> In my non legal, non expert opinion, access to retained data (by ordinary police, not the intelligence agencies) would be either under or
> compatible with the Telecommunications (Interception and Access) Act 1979.

Yes, that may be the words, but I am also quite aware that at the time
(and indeed subsequently) there has been a great deal of uncertainty
within at least parts of the industry, exactly what constitutes a duly
authorised person.

I recall there being a request by parts of the industry for a "register or
list of people permitted to make requests", but that never happened. The
fact that a minister could appoint people with no requirement to advise
industry who was or wasn't appointed at any given time, combined with
penalties for either:
  * providing information to someone NOT authorised
  * failing to provide information to someone who IS authorised
meant it was a precarious position for ISPs to be in.

I've never been asked for any data, so I've not had to seek confirmation,
but I believe there was a blanket statement made that if an ISP were in
doubt about a request, they should contact the AG for clarification. That,
I believe, is what the friend-of-my-friend did. I feel the cavalier "give
it to him" response reported by the AG, with a "the audit will catch it"
(after the event, if anyone ever bothers) line as some sort of
"protection" to be highly inappropriate - especially in the case where the
person being asked for the data had a "reasonable doubt" that it was being
used appropriately.

The whole thing stinks from top to bottom, but then we all knew that
before it was even introduced.

R.