[AusNOG] Hobart NBN POI - latency and packet loss issues

Damian Ivereigh damo at launtel.net.au
Fri Mar 30 13:43:33 EST 2018

Hi all,

Does anyone out there connect directly to the Hobart NBN POI - as in not
through a wholesaler, they have their own NNI. Or has anyone seen a
similar issue in another POI?

We are seeing an intermittent increased latency (normally 2ms increases
to 18ms) and about 3% packet lost to all our AVC's on that POI through
two separate CVCs.

1) We have excluded all our equipment from causing the latency increase
(i.e. no buffers anywhere).

2) The time that the issues occurs matches peak load, but not our peak
load. This morning it started at 10:45 before we were are even 50%
utilisation. We assume this is due to the holiday and the residential
traffic. Normally it doesn't start until 6pm.

3) We have plenty of capacity and anyway capacity limits would not lead
to increased latency - only buffering can do that (and NBN isn't
supposed to buffer - just strictly police).

4) We are unclear if the issue is on the POI as a whole, or some
grouping of NNIs - note 2) above excludes our individual NNI being in play.

5) We also connect to the Launceston POI, and are not seeing any of
these issues using a lot of common infrastructure (which further
excludes our network).

We have engaged NBN but have so far been unable to get any useful
response or even acknowledgment that there is an issue.

Thoughts anyone?

Damian

--
Launtel - We're at your call