[AusNOG] Fibre Cut in Sydney - Vocus

Luke Mackinnon Luke.Mackinnon at vocus.com.au
Fri Mar 23 10:20:25 EST 2018

Hey All,

Vocus certainly has diverse fibre from the Alexandria CLS too, always has. Happy to help customers out with diversity if they want it, always will.

In this case the issue isn’t the a lack of diversity in the Vocus fibre network.

The real issue is that if you buy an unprotected or single drop service from Southern Cross then you only get one customer facing port from SX, and if you do not have your own DWDM (or equiv) at the CLS and you bought/lease (rely on) dark fibre to extend your SX circuit from the CLS to another location, that singe dark fibre circuit off of the single SX customer facing port is always going to be a single point of failure and a risk.

Vocus and many of its customers survived the outage as we implement an architecture using 2/3Drop Restored capacity from SX meaning that we have diversity from both the Alexandria and Brookvale CLSs. It is unfortunate that some do not have the benefit of the same design in their networks, there is always a cost benefit trade off, unfortunately cost often wins.

I would be more than happy to have a deeper discussion on the benefits of the Southern Cross and Vocus networks that can be leveraged to avoid issues like that we saw on Tuesday, if anyone is interested please feel free to contact me directly.

Cheers,
Luke