[AusNOG] Github was hit by 1.35Tb DDoS attack establishing a new record

Mark Newton newton at atdot.dotat.org
Fri Mar 16 12:16:15 EST 2018

Reviving an old thread:

A typical DoS in the year 2000 was about 100 Mbps.

We’re 18 years down the line from that. 14 doublings on 100 Mbps is about 1.6 Tbps, so the first-order derivative of DoS magnitude by year is considerably less than 2.

It’s not that far away from linearly tracking the growth of the internet itself. Which would mean it’s neither better or worse than it’s ever been.

> On Mar 6, 2018, at 4:19 PM, Seamus Ryan <seamus at plur.com.au> wrote:
>
> Waits patiently for the next one and a "Hold my beer" moment.....

Next year’s record will be about 2.5 Tbps, and I’m not even sure that ought to be seen as controversial.

   - mark