[AusNOG] Hardware for Linux / 10Gbe iperf3 hosts in the field

Tim Sheahan tim at timsheahan.com
Mon Mar 5 09:31:15 EST 2018

 Thank you everybody for your responses.

Regarding the use case -

It's a fleet of distributed compute to be deployed over our metro ethernet
network, which includes both fiber and radio assets.

Orchestration is by Ansible, and the initial use case is for the boxen to
participate in a speed probe network for engineering purposes.

We're interested in speed tests which will quantify reserve performance in
a way which is responsive to packet loss (i.e. TCP).

As a high cost per node would be discouraging in the quantities we're
looking at, the aim is for smaller/single-board commodity hardware which
may include mobile chipsets but can nevertheless saturate a 10G link with
iperf3 test traffic.

Other use cases in the pipeline include hosting of customer speed test
nodes to operate in conjunction with a customer-service troubleshooting app
we're evaluating.

 - Tim