[AusNOG] Hardware for Linux / 10Gbe iperf3 hosts in the field

Tim Sheahan tim at timsheahan.com
Fri Mar 2 14:50:07 EST 2018

Hello AusNOG,

I'm writing to ask about hardware for deploying Linux / 10Gbe network
servers into the field.

Specifically, I'm looking for hardware to deploy:
- a mini / rackmount linux server
- with minimized unit cost
- with sufficient system capacity to saturate an SFP+ / 10Gbe link e.g. via
iperf3

Investigations so far led me to look at hardware platforms such as the
Supermicro SYS-E300-8D:

https://www.supermicro.com/products/system/Mini-ITX/SYS-E300-8D.cfm

Is anyone aware of a particularly enticing hardware solution to minimize
formfactor & cost around a 10Gbps iperf3 capability?

If shopping to minimize hardware spend per unit, can anyone give insight on
outcomes when testing for ability to saturate an SFP+ port from
mobile/embedded chipsets?

Thank you,

 - Tim Sheahan