[AusNOG] Telstra ELINE P2P

Tony Wicks tony at wicks.co.nz
Sat Jun 30 09:11:04 EST 2018

If you are a “Carrier of Carriers” then you do not normally want your MPLS network transiting over another’s MPLS network if you can help it. Using purely OTN services gives you a much more consistent control over your network, this being said then generally you are buying unprotected raw links so normally you are responsible for your own diversity links are normally 1G, 10G, 100G not sub rates. With OTN links there is no packetization, QOS or re-writing on the underlying layer. It does not matter what load is on your carriers network, every tiny bit of capacity is yours and your alone, they cannot over-subscribe it only you can. Also, very large MTU is normally available. If you are not a carrier of carriers (you do not sell transport to downstream carriers) then an MPLS based service with fast reroute capability is normally perfectly fine and appropriate.