[AusNOG] [AUSNOG] o365 experience

Troy Cowin troy at perthsystems.com.au
Tue Jun 19 15:58:19 EST 2018

Overall find it pretty good and comparable in most cases to on prem exchange. The biggest difference/issue we have with o365 vs on prem is the time taken to sync new copies of mailboxes – so on new computers, or users changing computers and it has to sync their mailbox. It can very easily flood their link which then affects everyone, and take hours or in some cases days to sync larger mailboxes on particularly slow links.

One thing I have seen an increase on is niggly issues with Outlook. Just basic stuff like notifications not working, or not working properly. Also seeing issues with Outlook claiming to be unlicensed even though a valid licensed user is logged in. These are not specific to o365 email – but the office license is purchased through o365

Support has been pretty average at best. Not helped by the fact your generally relegated to CSP support through your distributor, which means lodging a ticket with them and having them then lodge the ticket with Microsoft. It can be very time consuming, which when you have a somewhat urgent issue an be frustrating.

MS support has been pretty useless each time I’ve dealt with them and I’m yet to have had them actually fix a problem or find a resolution. Normally I’ve had to find a work around or in a few cases the issue just fixed itself. I fear this is only going to get worse as more and more people get onboard.