[AusNOG] VDSL2 modems for TPG/AAPT Corporate NBN FTTN

David Trad davidtradconsulting at gmail.com
Mon Jun 18 13:43:21 EST 2018

Yeah that is a good point Rory :)

There are various routers out there to choose from that will cover the
SOHO, SME to full enterprise.

I have used the following routers with reasonably good results:

* Huawei AR129 (Non wireless version) it has a max throughput of 50/20 when
you have the firewall turned on (IMIX) but without any policies turned on,
I did see it throughput between 72 and 75Mbps, either way for the price you
pay for them <$290 they are worth it for modem reliability and if you are
not going to go above 50mbps. I don't recommend the one with Wireless as
the WiFi on these units suck big time, and I don't know if that can be
fixed with a firmware update or not.

* Huawei AR169FGVW-L as an all-in-one unit, they are perfect for anything
from SOHO to SME as they have a max throughput of 150Mbps which will max
out the VDSL2 capabilities of the NBN, unless of course they turn on V33a
on the vectoring, they can be purchased for <$900 (Well last year they
could, not sure what they are now) and they have voice capabilities and
with a license you can turn on its in-built PBX for up to 20 extensions,
though its PBX functionality is really not the greatest from experience,
but the 4G fail-over is a blessing in disguise as their new units support
700Mhz frequency, and are great if you want to provide survivability, even
better, you can do the Ethernet WAN, VDSL2 WAN and the 4G Wan's all at the
same time and do policy based routing

- NOTE: Both units have fairly sensitive modems and are really good at
adjusting to line noise, so they are not deaf modems from my experience,
though last year they did do a firmware update that broke that sensitivity,
but it was resolved with a patch pretty quick

I am presently playing with the Juniper SRX-110HA as there seems to be a
surplus in the market right now, but DAMN! they are so funky to program, I
think you actually need to spend way to much time configuring these things,
even if you did it via a text config, it just comes nowhere near a 887VA
IMHO (Yeah I know that can be argued)/ also note that you need to have it
on the more recent firmwares .54 and above otherwise it wont obtain Sync,
that was a lesson learnt over many days diagnosing and fault finding.

I also will have a Mikrotik with an SFP coming and a VDSL2 SFP module to
test that, just working on which ones of the two I have been looking at
which are certified have the best modems in them, and importantly for me,
firmware upgradability to new standards if the NBN.co do upgrades to the
nodes.

The other one that I will play with later is the Draytek 132(f) PCI-E card,
as I can see many users even considering these as an option in their
servers or mini-PC's, however they are not getting the best review for the
onboard GUI and configuration of them, but i cannot make a judgement call
on that as I have not used one yet, and I will use it on a Ubuntu system as
you dont need Windows to run it, and I see they recently released it as
fully supported by pFsense as well.

I am starting to realise there are some pretty cool options out there to
choose from, but one thing I wont recommend is the $16 modems that are
issued by the RSP's in the critical mass market, as they are nothing more
than plastic waiting to be burned in the fiery flames of modem hell, it
should be criminal to sell those things to anyone... PERIOD!

Cheers,

David Trad
David Trad Consulting
0414474751