[AusNOG] Best practices on speeding up BGP convergence times

Alex Samad alex at samad.com.au
Tue Feb 27 12:25:17 EST 2018

Hi

Add in my experience.

I have multiple upstreams, I advertise to all upstreams at the same time, I
am not sure why you wouldn't do that.  Maybe to control the reverse path.
I preference by stuffing AS - seems to work well for us.

But I ran into issue with convergence.
1) time it would take for the router to realise the interface was down -
like the reference below - WAN links are not direct connected to the
router. - Yeah BFD
2) Time it would take to reprocess route table after removing a path

So what I have done is
try to implement BFD with BGP where I can, not very many ISP have it as an
option .. that i found interesting.
reduce the keep alive timer for BGP ... So the doco says don't make it too
low, because it might start to flap ...

What I also did was reduce what routes I accept, so I still take a full
table, but only inject around 10K prefixes into my main routing table -
this i found help with convergence (out bound).
I actually have a script that generates my bgp filter rules based on
networks wanted