[AusNOG] auDA Policy Review Panel - Public Forums

Jim Woodward jim at alwaysnever.net
Wed Feb 14 14:08:28 EST 2018

On 14-02-2018 12:11, Chad Kelly wrote:
> On 2/13/2018 7:43 AM, ausnog-request at lists.ausnog.net wrote:
>

> I'm not surprised at all auDA struggle to enforce the policies they
> already have at times, with people using canceled ABN numbers to
> register au domains to setup fake websites to scam Au consumers. Also
> you destroyed the .au space when you allowed the commercialization of
> the space and people now just sit on .com.au domains for years.

I could not agree more, I and my business partner had a business that
was de-registered in 2006 I think, the domain name for that business was
absorbed into an ISP as part of its infrastructure and then onsold to
iiNet when that business was sold.

That domain is still registered and renewed by iiNet and you can bet
they don't have a registered business name to continue to be eligible
for that as the domain didn't belong to the company they acquired.

I've never pursued it, the business is done and has been for over a
decade, best of luck to them but it does highlight the lax enforcement
of the .com.au charter.

> As for new TLDs some of them make sense such as .hosting for website
> hosting companies as an example, but ones like .wtf  are just silly.
> As for .au its just going to be another extension to add to the
> hundreds we have already got.

I block most of the new TLD's like .trade, .info, .win etc because no
aaabsolutey no leglitimate email comes from them, it's turned into a
wasteland of spam and scams :(

> We don't really need it, as we already have .id.au for personal
> domains and if we are going to continue down this path, we might as
> well dispose of the organisation and just open up the entire .au
> namespace.

Hear hear, its either run to rule or just let the .au ccTLD go the way
the international TLD space went (and I hope to the great googly
mooglies they don't)

Kind Regards,
Jim.