[AusNOG] auDA Policy Review Panel - Public Forums

Narelle narellec at gmail.com
Mon Feb 12 16:47:30 EST 2018

Thanks Mark

Do you really think it practical to impose policy on registrants, ie the
garden variety name holder, for the running of a DNS fully compliant with
the RFCs?

If they don't come that way out of the box (and it's been a while since I
had a close look at how bind unpacks itself, not to mention the other
commercial variants) - most will find it extremely challenging.

That said - many hosting companies do it for their customers, what does the
list think about Mark's suggestion of being required to be complaint with
the RFCs to register a domain name?

I suspect if that were the case people would head off to *.whatever under
the new gTLDs or come up with even stupider *.com names just to avoid
compliance with .au rules. And it would increase the price paid for .au.
I'd prefer to see a stronger role from auDA, ausnog, Comms Alliance, IIA in
education and best practice encouragement.

Cheers

Narelle

--

Narelle