[AusNOG] submarine fibre amplifier question

Christopher Hawker me at chrishawker.com.au
Tue Feb 6 20:47:37 EST 2018

Hi Bryan,

"Repeaters are powered by a constant direct current passed down a conductor near the center of the cable. All repeaters in a cable are powered in series. Power feed equipment (PFE) is installed at the terminal stations on the land. These PFEs inject huge voltage into the line - 3,000, 4,000, and up to 10,000 volts - to power each repeater on the cable (now you can understand why Jaws went to shark heaven after his mid-morning snack)."

 - https://www.networkworld.com/article/2235353/cisco-subnet/the-incredible-international-submarine-cable-systems.html

Hope that helps.

Thanks,

CH.