[AusNOG] Assistance and Access Bill moves to PJCIS

Paul Wilkins paulwilkins369 at gmail.com
Tue Dec 11 14:57:00 EST 2018

Well firstly, it looked like wishful thinking for a long time that Home
Affairs would alter the Bill at all, or take any notice at all of the
public and industry opinions. Yet here we are, with 50 pages of amendments
passed virtually sight unseen on the final sitting day. This was the direct
result of Home Affairs intransigence, in running a consultation process
which meant asking for submissions, then ramming through the Bill they
wanted.

I guess it's interesting to ask who the "government" is. Dutton introduced
the Bill, and his parliamentary eligibility is in question. The government
of today may not be the government that administers this Bill. In fact,
Labor can pass amendments to this Bill even now if they can get the
requisite cross bench support.

I don't think we the People, or industry, need to accept the Bill as it is.
It was only passed as an expedient because the LEAs made the argument it
was better to pass the Bill and subsequently amend, rather then leave them
without the powers over Christmas.

Here is the Bill that passed.
<http://parlinfo.aph.gov.au/parlInfo/download/legislation/bills/r6195_aspassed/toc_pdf/18204b01.pdf;fileType=application%2Fpdf>

Kind regards