[AusNOG] Assistance and Access Bill moves to PJCIS

Mark Newton newton at atdot.dotat.org
Thu Dec 6 13:48:18 EST 2018

On 12/05/2018 11:48 AM, Paul Wilkins wrote:
> "If this passes I can see similar legislation being introduced in
> other jurisdictions."
>
> I think this legislation and all its warts is going to be a
> particularly Australian feature.

Exported globally, though.

A 5-eyes power who wants to surveil someone can come to Australia, get
ASIO or ASD to land a TCN on the target's platform provider, and pass on
the result.

Example:

CIA wants something from an iPhone user. They can't get it themselves.
So they take the iPhone user's IMEI to ASD and ask for 5-eyes assistance.

ASD screams "terrorist!" in a TCN sent to Apple, which demands
production of a compromised version of iOS which keylogs and screenshots
any encrypted messaging apps which happen to run, and pushed as a silent
upgrade to that user's phone.

Results flow from Apple to ASD, and ASD passes them back to the CIA.

There is no need for any other 5-eyes nation to pass this law now that
Australia has it. It's provided 5-eyes with a global capability.

   - mark