[AusNOG] Assistance and Access Bill moves to PJCIS

Mark Newton newton at atdot.dotat.org
Thu Dec 6 13:41:07 EST 2018

On 12/06/2018 12:06 PM, Paul Wilkins wrote:
> Remember these are proposed as interim powers.
>
> /Labor members have moved to progress this Bill despite our concerns
> because of the evidence from law enforcement and security agencies
> that there is a need for these powers over the Christmas period, and
> because the proposed amendments deliver adequate oversight and
> safeguards to prevent unintended consequences while ongoing work
> continues./

"Christmas period."

Note that it doesn't commence until January. And once it starts, there's
a 28 day consultation period on notices issued pursuant to the Act. And
the platform operators they'll want to target have holiday season change
freezes anyway.

If "there is a need for these powers over the Christmas period," then
that ship has sailed. Too late, they needed to pass it in September.

   - mark