[AusNOG] Assistance and Access Bill moves to PJCIS

Paul Wilkins paulwilkins369 at gmail.com
Thu Dec 6 12:06:41 EST 2018

Remember these are proposed as interim powers.

*Labor members have moved to progress this Bill despite our concerns
because of the evidence from law enforcement and security agencies that
there is a need for these powers over the Christmas period, and because the
proposed amendments deliver adequate oversight and safeguards to prevent
unintended consequences while ongoing work continues.*

Recommendation 11
The Committee recommends that the Bill be amended to allow a designated
communications provider, who has been given a capability notice under
subsection 317W(1) of the Bill in relation to a proposed Technical
Capability Notice (TCN), to *request a binding assessment* of

   - whether the proposed technical capability notice would contravene
   section 317ZG of the Bill
   - the requirements imposed by the notice are reasonable and
   proportionate;
   - compliance with the notice is practicable and technically feasible; and
   - the notice is the least intrusive measure that would be effective in
   achieving the legitimate objective of the notice.

This request would be made in writing to the Attorney - General within a
reasonable time limit specified in the consultation notice.  The Committee
recommends that two persons be jointly appointed to conduct the assessment:

One of these persons should have knowledge that would enable them to assess
whether proposed TCN would contravene section 317ZG of the Bill, and should
be cleared for security purposes to the highest level required by staff
members of ASIO, unless the Attorney - General approves a lower security
level.

The second assessor must be a person who has served as a judge in one or
more prescribed courts for a period of 5 years; and who no longer holds a
commission as a judge of a prescribed court.
Both persons must agree that:

   - The requirements imposed by the notice are reasonable and
   proportionate;
   - Compliance with the notice is practicable and technically feasible; and
   - The notice is the least intrusive measure that would be effective in
   achieving the legitimate objective of the notice.

The report prepared by the technical expert and the retired judge must also
be provided to the Inspector - General of Intelligence and Security (for
oversight of ASIO) and the Commonwealth Ombudsman (for oversight of the
AFP).