[AusNOG] Assistance and Access Bill moves to PJCIS

Paul Wilkins paulwilkins369 at gmail.com
Wed Dec 5 11:48:17 EST 2018

"If this passes I can see similar legislation being introduced in other
jurisdictions."

I think this legislation and all its warts is going to be a particularly
Australian feature.

The UK have RIPA already, which will probably become enforceable law after
Brexit but there the notices require judicial approval. Europe is a no go
due to GDPR and America has the 2nd Amendment, so surveilling citizens is a
non starter.

So far I've not seen any mention the interim law will have a sunset clause.
Let's see, but if there's to be new legislation after the election, we may
get a very different result.

Without a sunset clause, political reality, we'll have to wear a botched
job.

Kind regards

Paul Wilkins