[AusNOG] Vendors back charging on support and maintenance.

Paul Wilkins paulwilkins369 at gmail.com
Sat Apr 28 08:43:36 EST 2018

The vendor has no preexisting relationship with the purchaser, so the
vendor can dictate such terms as suit to bring the device under support.
The purchaser can take it or leave it - unless the vendor's actions are,
beyond dispute, in breach of the law.

There's no consumer protection rights. The original purchase doesn't apply.

You could argue the 18 months support in arrears for no benefit, amounts to
restrictive practice. It arguably restricts resale of the vendors goods. It
also arguably exploits a monopoly the vendor has in support of their
product.

The vendors have a good argument that it's necessary to backdate support to
avoid support being paid only on RMA. There's a better argument that it
prevents the unscrupulous buying failed equipment to bring back into
service cheaply.

So it's moot. There's arguments both sides, and the law will not lightly
restrict people's rights to draft contracts as they choose without a clear
case of illegality.

But what if you got the ACCC interested enough to challenge? Even if you
won, the consequence would be the vendors, rather than backdating support
18 months, would institute a programme for testing hardware being brought
in from non preexisting support arrangements, and charge the equivalent of
18 months support for doing it.

I am not a lawyer. This is not expert opinion.

Kind regards

Paul Wilkins