[AusNOG] Vendors back charging on support and maintenance.

Karen Hargreave karen at iamunique.net.au
Fri Apr 27 01:15:30 EST 2018

So we then sit and watch as the price for everything starts to go through the roof further than it has. Previously they have been able to sell equipment, and then the contracts. The contracts cover the staff and any additional costs that may arise or pays for them to send out people to deal with issues.

If they are no longer able to charge for the contracts, then the price will be just added on.
In the case of second hand equipment, wouldn't the responsibility be on the purchaser to have more of an idea on what they are getting? Otherwise, perhaps having people check out the equipment prior to starting a contract and then going from there...  if you want to look back at the insurance analogy, then if your car is off the road for a bit and you get it insured again, you need to send through pics of it usually with a newspaper or something with the date on it so they know what they are covering.

Sent from my iPad