[AusNOG] Vendors back charging on support and maintenance.

Chad Kelly chad at cpkws.com.au
Wed Apr 25 13:15:42 EST 2018

On 4/25/2018 12:00 PM, ausnog-request at lists.ausnog.net wrote:

> I've just observed an interesting situation where a vendor is charging upto
> 18months "fee" to bring a device back into active maintenance and support.
> The customer purchase the kit secondhand. Naturally the customer is pushing
> back (don't blame them).
>
> Is this common in our industry? It's the first time I've heard of it. Given
> some of the information coming out from the royal commission is this not
> the same as AMP or CBA charge customers for a service they didn't get
This sounds pretty standard for some vendors.
If the device is out of warranty or no longer supported   frankly it
would be cheaper to pay for a newer device that is actually supported
but this obviously depends on what software or hardware you are using
and what the device relates to, some government software needs
unsupported / older OS to run. It isn't just with older software though,
Cloud vendors such as AWS don't even give you technical support unless
you buy it and even then its limited.

--
Chad Kelly
Manager