[AusNOG] Vendors back charging on support and maintenance.

Ross Wheeler ausnog at rossw.net
Thu Apr 26 16:13:03 EST 2018

On Wed, 25 Apr 2018, Scott Howard wrote:

> While you're at it, you might as well cancel your house and contents insurance.
> If the building burns down, just call up and start a new policy and then submit your claim.

There's a small difference there. If the "event" happens outside your
insured period, you're simply not covered. Your house burning down, being
flooded, broken into etc, will leave a (police/fire/etc) report that would
easily prove your event was at a time you were uninsured.

In the case of a failed switch I concede it may be possible to "hide" it
for a while until the support contract was established... but there must
be some happy middle ground here between vendors and users!

I wouldn't like to have purchased (in good faith) someones pre-loved box,
then try to take out a support contract only to be told I have to fork out
4 years "back-support" on it!