[AusNOG] Rise in fake calling numbers?

Matt Perkins matt at spectrum.com.au
Mon Apr 23 13:37:37 EST 2018

I would say they are likely coming in from overseas based telco's. All
of the Australian based operators that im aware of take their
responsibility seriously when setting the outbound calling number that
calling customer has the rite to use that number. We will not set an
outbound CLID for our customers unless the inbound is churned to us or
the customer has proved proof they own the rites to the number. Like
their mobile number for example.

Matt.

On 23/4/18 1:22 pm, Narelle wrote:

> Hi folks
> we may be hearing a rise in the incidence of VoIP calls faking their
> caller ID for the purposes of spamming and scamming.
>
> Consumers check the caller ID on their hand CND and accept the
> Australian sourced number, only to find it is a complete scam. This is
> often tied to the 'missed call scam' but now they are using genuine
> Aussie phone numbers and the genuine owners aren't happy.
>
> From my rusty experience at setting up VoIP systems, you should be
> able to impose filters on incoming calls  at the network level here
> the number doesn't match the source - can people please give me a
> clearer update on this from the trenches?
>
> What are the good housekeeping steps for network operators?
>
> Off list please and I'll summarise the responses,
>
> thanks in advance
>

> --
>

> Narelle Clark
> narellec at gmail.com <mailto:narellec at gmail.com>

/* Matt Perkins
         Direct 1300 137 379        Spectrum Networks Ptd. Ltd.
         Office 1300 133 299        matt at spectrum.com.au
                                    Level 6, 350 George Street Sydney 2000
         Spectrum Networks is a member of the Communications Alliance & TIO
*/