[AusNOG] Opportunities in Australia to work on Event networks (Volunteer)

Rory Jones rory.jones.au at gmail.com
Mon Apr 16 12:03:48 EST 2018

Hi Jason,

Pardon my chiming in. This sounds absolutely fantastic for people like me who are wanting to get into networking and telco. I’ve been having trouble for a number of years now, too bloody many of you ask me... but I’m thinking I’m going to have to try something different.

I don’t know if it’s my living in Brisbane and there’s just not much of it around here, or what, but I’d love nothing more than to be able to get my feet wet so I can better be employable in the field I’m most passionate about.

I don’t mean to hijack the thread or anything, but if someone could share ideas on how newbies like me can get into the field, through volunteering, or work experience, or anything like that, I think that’d be quite pertinent to the topic at hand plus I think it would help others in my position - somehow I don’t feel like I’m the only one! Almost seems like network engineering is somewhat of a dying art form, with how integrated everything is getting now. But that could just be a skewed perspective of “an outsider looking in”.

Fantastic points you’ve raised, Jason, I’ll be watching this thread very intently.

Kind regards,
Rory