[AusNOG] Co-lo or Virtual hosting - Turkey/Europe.

Ross Wheeler ausnog at rossw.net
Thu Sep 21 15:21:08 EST 2017

Good folk of Ausnog - has anyone here got first-hand experience with
either co-located or virtualised servers in or near (in network terms)
Turkey?

Yes, I can look for hosting companies, but it's really hard to know who
has a wonderful looking site but crap service, or a terrible website with
great service, and I really don't want to waste the time and money
learning who's who over there!

I have a project where I'll want either a real physical server, or a
virtual server to service a new client. It doesn't need to be anything
phenomenal - the server that's currenty doing the job is only quad-core,
3GHz, 16GB RAM and 100GB disk (virtualised). It will need to run FreeBSD
(current system is running 10.3). Data is going to be in the rough
vicinity of 500GB/Month in and probably slightly more out. 100 Mbps
(minimum) connectivity, anything more a bonus. Yes, I could run it from
here, but latency is an issue. Also probably a lot more things to "go
wrong" between there and here, than something local over there!

Client is price-sensitive initially.

Glowing recommendations and/or horror stories equally appreciated!

Thanks.
R.