[AusNOG] HFC

Robert Hudson hudrob at gmail.com
Tue Sep 12 15:19:31 EST 2017

In theory, 100Mbps/40Mbps service (and even 1Gbps/400Mbps) services are
possible over the nbn HFC service.  Data charges to cover 400GB a month
shouldn't be an issue.

Of course, that's just last mile.  There's a lot more to a service than the
last mile.  You will get "best efforts" SLA for support of a consumer-grade
service, and likely won't get a static IP.  Upgrading to business-grade
will resolve some of the issues - but then, when the HFC cable itself is
down (let's say a garbage truck cuts it, and resolution is 8 hours), what
do you do for redundancy (and you're not thinking redundancy as a service
consumer here, but rather as a service provider for your email)?

Personally, I don't think there's actually a valid reason to run a mail
server in an office these days except under extreme edge-cases - hosted or
cloud mail (or full collaboration, such as Exchange Online via O365)
services are so cheap on a monthly basis that the real cost of procuring,
building, running and maintaining a reliable service in an office is just
insane these days.