[AusNOG] HFC

Jason Leschnik jason at leschnik.me
Tue Sep 12 11:39:57 EST 2017

Hi Burt,

>From my basic understanding HFC is just your run of the mill coax
connectivity (like most people who subscribe to Foxtel) with a fibre
backhaul, like FTTN but with coax being the last mile tail. Most of my
friends who have been on coax for a few years now have been on pretty good
speeds which put our DSL connections south of Sydney to shame. I'd be
curious to see other responses as down in Wollongong (South of Sydney) we
don't see much Coax.

If you can run a mailserver or not would come down to the ISP, do they
offer static IP addresses? Generally a business grade plan or for an
additional monthly cost this can be arranged.

Regards,
Jason.