[AusNOG] Google's Route Preference

Joseph Goldman joe at apcs.com.au
Tue Sep 12 09:58:31 EST 2017

Hi Team,

  After Megaport's hiccup yesterday, I discovered my Google traffic
coming in via my transit rather than alternate peering fabric.

  We bi-lat peer with Google over Megaport IX, but not over other
peering fabrics, but common sense told me that without bi-lat, it should
still use the Route Server routes and come in via alternate peering, I
was wrong!

  Google support confirmed the following preferences:

  "Google generally serves traffic from edge nodes (GGC) preferentially,
then direct peering, then via indirect paths (your transit such as xxxx
and xxxx), and Route servers to be the least preferred"

  Now, its their network and they can prefer what they want to prefer,
what I am interested in though is maybe an understanding why?

  Why would route server routes be less preferred than transit?

  In any case my easy solution is to set up bi-lat via all peering
fabrics, just caught me off guard and goes against what I would think is
common sense routing.

Thanks,
Joe