[AusNOG] Speeds to international - acceptable minimum

Glenn Lake glenn.lake at team.e-vision.com.au
Fri Oct 13 19:23:00 EST 2017

As per Damien's response - TCP throughput (single stream) will depend on window size.  Default on Microsoft Windows is 64KB from memory.

Latency dramatically impacts the throughput.

Based on a 250Mb/s link the below is likely to USA West Coast (with latency of 169ms which just happened to be a random host I picked - I am in Melbourne)

Bandwidth / latency (250 Mbit/sec, 169.0 ms)
required tcp buffer to reach 250 Mbps with RTT of 169.0 ms >= 5157.5 KByte
maximum throughput with a TCP window of 64 KByte and RTT of 169.0 ms <= 3.10 Mbit/sec.

You either need to adjust window / buffer size or use multiple streams.

Glenn