[AusNOG] Speeds to international - acceptable minimum

Damien Gardner Jnr rendrag at rendrag.net
Fri Oct 13 19:04:08 EST 2017

Depends on whether you've tuned the TCP stack on the machine you're testing
from..  With default window sizes etc, I'd expect maybe 10-20mbps per
stream from the US, less from Europe?   With nice large window sizes and
receive buffers, I'd be expecting 100-150mbps per stream, provided the
server on the other end isn't limiting window sizes to something stupidly
low?  (Have had that issue a few times with SaaS providers in the US..
Usually an email to their helpdesk with some pcaps, and an explanation of
how window sizes work, and how they need to tune their servers, will result
in a huge jump in performance)

A short look with tcpdump, ethereal, etc should tell you whether it's a
window size issue, or something further upstream.  If you can, adding an
adjust-mss rule on your router to say drop your negotiated mss on outbound
connections to say 1400, may make a (large) difference if your provider is
using a GRE-based DDoS mitigation platform in the US, and they're doing
transparent packet fragmentation, rather than just sending back frag-needed
packets.

On 12 October 2017 at 18:22, Dino Sosic <Dino.Sosic at datacom.com.au> wrote:

> Hi,
>

> Out of curiosity, if you get a 250 mbps circuit from an ISP (IP transit
> service) and all is fine within ANZ but as soon as you go international
> speed tests show 2/2 mbps, FTP transfers show 7/8 mbps, would that be
> acceptable? (Same towards multiple US, Europe and Asia destinations)
>
> What is the minimum you would deem acceptable to international
> destinations?
>

> Cheers
>
> Dino
>

> *Confidentiality and Privilege Notice*
>
> This document is intended solely for the named addressee. The information
> contained in the pages is confidential and contains legally privileged
> information. If you are not the addressee indicated in this message or
> responsible for delivery of the message to such person, you may not copy or
> deliver this message to anyone, and you should destroy this message and
> kindly notify the sender by reply email. Confidentiality and legal
> privilege are not waived or lost by reason of mistaken delivery to you.

Damien Gardner Jnr
VK2TDG. Dip EE. GradIEAust
rendrag at rendrag.net -  http://www.rendrag.net/
 We ran to the sounds of thunder.